Every year I like to decorate my computer for the holidays.
In years past it took the form of [holiday-themed applications and dashboard widgets](http://osxdaily.com/2007/12/02/mac-os-x-christmas-holiday-desktop-app-fun/).
But this year I’ve got a [minimal mac](http://minimalmac.com/post/179603294/my-desktop-is-about-as-minimal-as-i-can-get-it) thing going on. So I thought I’d “decorate” with some vintage holiday photos.
I ran across [Shorpy](http://www.shorpy.com) which has a wealth of vintage photos and thought I’d share my selects with you as a gift for the holidays:
* [Winter Palace: 1933](http://www.shorpy.com/node/6826) — Great composition, and New York, especially, old New York, feels Christmassy.
* [Sixth Avenue Shopppers: 1903](http://www.shorpy.com/node/6959) — Mall schmall, these people shopped with horses!
* [Broadway Santa: 1902](http://www.shorpy.com/node/7192) — A reminder that this is a time for giving. Also, Cubanola cigars and hats apparently.
* [Wide Christmas: 1920](http://www.shorpy.com/node/5149) — No matter how much you decorated your tree, these folks have you beat. Beat.
* [Blade Runners: 1919](http://www.shorpy.com/node/7050) — Great contrast with the white ice, and the blurry skater in the foreground adds a hint of abstractness.
* [Kay Jewlers: 1919](http://www.shorpy.com/node/6299) — Jane Seymour and her open heart surger^H^H^H^H jewelry are nowhere to be found.
* [Best Christmas Ever: 1922](http://www.shorpy.com/node/5170) — That kid made out like a bandit, no matter what year it is.
* [Five and Ten: 1921](http://www.shorpy.com/node/5148) — “Take a look in the five-and-ten, glistening once again”
* [Winter Wonderland: 1908](http://www.shorpy.com/node/4609) — Tell me you don’t want to hop on one of those streetcars with a parcel wrapped up in brown paper. Go on, tell me!
* [Iowa City in the Snow: 1940](http://www.shorpy.com/node/2196): Possibly my favorite. It’s straight out of “It’s a Wonderful Life.”